Tags: cleanly, domain, domainprofile, exe, kit, local, moveuser, resource, samba, software, tool, w2k3

Move local profile to domain profile.

On Software » Samba

11,839 words with 5 Comments; publish: Tue, 06 May 2008 06:45:00 GMT; (400109.38, « »)

, I got the W2K3 resource kit tool to move my local profile to my domain

profile (moveuser.exe). Didn't really work that cleanly.

Even though I used the /k (keep the local account), it didn't really. It

seemed to change the permissions on MST of the files.

It didn't really move the files either. It's just pointed my profile (or

parts of it) to the existing folder. Can't really go back now.

It didn't do My Documents and lower.

I had to log out, log is as domain administrator, and take ownership of

those files.

Even then, it lost some of my passwords (which is ok with me).

Does anyone have a nice CLEAN way to migrate the local profile to a domain

profile?

(something automated, perhaps)

How about using the right click on My computer on the desktop, advanced tab,

User Profiles button, and copy to.

Has anyone tried that?

I supposed I'll need to re-image my machine and try it

Dennis

All Comments

Leave a comment...

  • 5 Comments
    • Dennis McLeod wrote:

      , I got the W2K3 resource kit tool to move my local profile to my domain

      profile (moveuser.exe). Didn't really work that cleanly.

      Even though I used the /k (keep the local account), it didn't really. It

      seemed to change the permissions on MST of the files.

      It didn't really move the files either. It's just pointed my profile (or

      parts of it) to the existing folder. Can't really go back now.

      It didn't do My Documents and lower.

      I had to log out, log is as domain administrator, and take ownership of

      those files.

      Even then, it lost some of my passwords (which is ok with me).

      Does anyone have a nice CLEAN way to migrate the local profile to a domain

      profile?

      (something automated, perhaps)

      How about using the right click on My computer on the desktop, advanced tab,

      User Profiles button, and copy to.

      Has anyone tried that?

      I supposed I'll need to re-image my machine and try it

      Dennis

      When you log into a domain that allows roaming profiles, your profile

      gets copied to the server. There isn't really a need for much more than

      patience because it can take a long while, depending on the size of your

      "My Documents". If you have the profiles on another server, I've been

      able to copy them without anything strange happening.

      Just make sure that "profile acls = yes" is set in your smb.conf and all

      the other smb.conf settings for roaming profiles are correct.

      #1; Tue, 06 May 2008 06:46:00 GMT
    • So far I haven't found an automated way. I just log in to the domain as

      the user, which creates the roaming profile on the network. Then log

      out, log in to the local machine as admin and copy the contents of My

      Documents, Desktop and Application Data (all from Documents and

      Settings/<username>) from the local profile to the roaming profile. Then

      log back in to the domain as the user and all the desktop icons and user

      settings should be there. Just remember to delete the local profile to

      avoid confusion.

      *Jason Baker

      */IT Coordinator/

      *Glastender Inc.*

      5400 North Michigan Road

      Saginaw, Michigan 48604 USA

      800.748.0423

      Phone: 989.752.4275 ext. 228

      Fax: 989.752.4444

      www.glastender.com <http://www.glastender.com>

      GEEK CDE BLCK

      Version: 3.1

      GIT$ d- s: a C++$ LU$ P+ LL !E W N o? K?

      w ! M !V PS PE- Y? PGP- t 5? X+ R+ tv+ b- DI-- D++ G e+ h

      r y

      GEEK CDE BLCK

      3/14/2007 6:57 PM, Dennis McLeod wrote:

      , I got the W2K3 resource kit tool to move my local profile to my domain

      profile (moveuser.exe). Didn't really work that cleanly.

      Even though I used the /k (keep the local account), it didn't really. It

      seemed to change the permissions on MST of the files.

      It didn't really move the files either. It's just pointed my profile (or

      parts of it) to the existing folder. Can't really go back now.

      It didn't do My Documents and lower.

      I had to log out, log is as domain administrator, and take ownership of

      those files.

      Even then, it lost some of my passwords (which is ok with me).

      Does anyone have a nice CLEAN way to migrate the local profile to a domain

      profile?

      (something automated, perhaps)

      How about using the right click on My computer on the desktop, advanced tab,

      User Profiles button, and copy to.

      Has anyone tried that?

      I supposed I'll need to re-image my machine and try it

      Dennis

      #2; Tue, 06 May 2008 06:47:00 GMT
    • K, I haven't done this with RAMING profiles, but I've done it so many

      times with locally-stored profiles I think I can do it in my sleep. (The

      following is not written for the novice user.)

      Consider the following scenario: user Fred Flintstone has a local

      account FRED on the Windows XP Professional worstation FREDSCMPUTER.

      You have already joined FREDSCMPUTER to the BEDRCK domain, and Fred

      has been given an account in the BEDRCK domain called FFLINTSTNE

      (note, I'm using caps so it's easy to read in my example).

      1. Log into FREDSCMPUTER with admin rights, but not as FRED. Use

      NTBACKUP (the built-in backup utility), make a backup of

      "Documents and Settings\Fred" (or wherever his local-account

      profile happens to be stored). This is for bone-headed admins like

      me who will probably screw something up. NTBACKUP is suggested

      because it's fairly easy to used (read: quick) and will preserve

      permissions.

      2. Assign permissions (recursively) to "Documents and Settings\Fred"

      that allow BEDRCK\FFLINTSTNE full access.

      3. Load the registry hive "Documents and Settings\Fred\NTUSER.DAT"

      and assign permissions similarly. (I typically use REGEDIT, or

      REGEDT32 on Windows 2000 and earlier.)

      4. Unload the reigstry hive or reboot the computer.

      5. Log in as BEDRCK\FFLINTSTNE. This will create a new profile for

      Fred; make a note of the path where the profile is stored. This

      profile folder will be deleted shortly, but this step is necessary

      to create a registry key. Log out, and log back in as a local admin.

      6. the registry key HKLM\SFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows

      NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. Under here you will see numerous

      keys named by the SIDs of users who have logged in. of these

      will correspond with the BEDRCK\FFLINTSTNE account. Since you

      are using Samba, you can (rather conveniently, I might add) use

      pdbedit -L -v fflintstone to find out the SID. , you can

      look thru until you find the one for which the ProfileImagePath

      value corresponds with the path noted in step 5, above. Modify the

      value for ProfileImagePath to correspond to the path to FRED's

      profile that you backed up in step 1.

      7. Delete the profile folder noted in step 5. You won't be needing it

      anymore.

      8. Log in as BEDRCK\FFLINTSTNE and you should be logged into the

      domain, but still using FRED's old profile.

      Now here's how I would handle it if the domain profile was a roaming

      profile: temporarily disable the roaming profile configuration for

      BEDRCK\FFLINTSTNE before doing the above. After doing the above steps,

      convert the "domain local" profile to a "domain roaming" profile.

      -Jonathan Johnson

      Sutinen Consulting, Inc.

      www.sutinen.com

      Jason Baker wrote:

      So far I haven't found an automated way. I just log in to the domain

      as the user, which creates the roaming profile on the network. Then

      log out, log in to the local machine as admin and copy the contents of

      My Documents, Desktop and Application Data (all from Documents and

      Settings/<username>) from the local profile to the roaming profile.

      Then log back in to the domain as the user and all the desktop icons

      and user settings should be there. Just remember to delete the local

      profile to avoid confusion.

      *Jason Baker

      */IT Coordinator/

      --

      *Glastender Inc.*

      5400 North Michigan Road

      Saginaw, Michigan 48604 USA

      800.748.0423

      Phone: 989.752.4275 ext. 228

      Fax: 989.752.4444

      www.glastender.com <http://www.glastender.com>

      GEEK CDE BLCK Version: 3.1

      GIT$ d- s: a C++$ LU$ P+ LL !E W N o? K?

      w ! M !V PS PE- Y? PGP- t 5? X+ R+ tv+ b- DI-- D++ G e+ h r y

      GEEK CDE BLCK

      >

      >

      >

      3/14/2007 6:57 PM, Dennis McLeod wrote:

      >, I got the W2K3 resource kit tool to move my local profile to my

      >domain

      >profile (moveuser.exe). Didn't really work that cleanly.

      >Even though I used the /k (keep the local account), it didn't really. It

      >seemed to change the permissions on MST of the files.

      >It didn't really move the files either. It's just pointed my profile (or

      >parts of it) to the existing folder. Can't really go back now.

      >It didn't do My Documents and lower.

      >I had to log out, log is as domain administrator, and take ownership of

      >those files.

      >Even then, it lost some of my passwords (which is ok with me).

      >Does anyone have a nice CLEAN way to migrate the local profile to a

      >domain

      >profile?

      >(something automated, perhaps)

      >How about using the right click on My computer on the desktop,

      >advanced tab,

      >User Profiles button, and copy to.

      >Has anyone tried that?

      >I supposed I'll need to re-image my machine and try it

      >Dennis

      >>

      >

      #3; Tue, 06 May 2008 06:48:00 GMT
    • How about using the right click on My computer on the desktop,

      advanced tab, User Profiles button, and copy to.

      Has anyone tried that?

      I've done exactly that many times

      The critical step is to make sure that you assign the correct user

      permission to use the profile under 'Permitted to use'.

      Works like a charm, but not a good option for migrating a lot of users,

      obviously.

      #4; Tue, 06 May 2008 06:49:00 GMT
    • Hi Jonathan,

      Just fyi - there is a simpler way, much less error prone

      Jonathan Johnson wrote:

      K, I haven't done this with RAMING profiles, but I've done it so many

      times with locally-stored profiles I think I can do it in my sleep. (The

      following is not written for the novice user.)

      Consider the following scenario: user Fred Flintstone has a local

      account FRED on the Windows XP Professional worstation FREDSCMPUTER.

      You have already joined FREDSCMPUTER to the BEDRCK domain, and Fred

      has been given an account in the BEDRCK domain called FFLINTSTNE

      (note, I'm using caps so it's easy to read in my example).

      1. Log into FREDSCMPUTER with admin rights, but not as FRED.

      2. Right-click on 'My Computer' - click the 'Advanced' Tab.

      3. Click the 'Settings' button under 'User Profiles'.

      4. Select the profile you want to move, click on 'Copy To'.

      5. Click the 'Browse' button, navigate to the profile directory where

      the profile is to be stored.

      6. Click the 'Change' button under 'Permitted to use' - assign the

      domain user the rights to this profile.

      7. Click 'K'.

      8. Log off the local computer.

      9. Done.

      Assuming the domain user is already defined as a roaming profile, and

      the directory where you just copied the profile is the correct

      directory, then the next time FFLINTSTNE logs in, he will automatically

      use the new profile.

      Caveat: If the profile will only be a local profile, then you will need

      to log in once as FFLINTSTNE first, to create the profile directory

      that the old profile will be copied to. You can create it manually, but

      to make sure the perms get set correctly, it is best to let the system

      do it for you.

      #5; Tue, 06 May 2008 06:50:00 GMT